Lets begin with some advice!

on Thursday, November 25, 2010


As a third year College Student I've done many different internships in various industries such as Magazines in NYC, Public Relation firms, and currently I'm interning with Rochester Fashion Week. I’m going to give you some beneficial advice that you need to pay close attention to which are the do’s and don’ts of an internship.

  1.      I’ll begin with Corporate America Vs. Rochester. Working for a Magazine in NYC, I learned that you shouldn’t come into work when you’re the slightest bit sick because they don’t want you there. In contrast, at small companies, with my experience it is frowned upon if you miss even one day of work due to being sick. How do you solve this problem? Communication with your supervisor on Day One about the work policy.
2.      Communication is so important. I received a call asking why I was not at my internship because the HR director did not communicate with my employer the correct start date. Here’s my advice: make sure you send an email to both the HR director and CC your employer so everyone is on the same page.
3.      Don’t get trapped into the company gossip. Please don’t talk negatively about your co-workers. I always see this at every internship I’ve ever experienced and it is an absolute NO. You’re not an employee. You don’t want to be involved in the company drama. It just makes you look bad.
4.      I was once afraid to ask a question because I felt like it would make me look inexperienced. Here’s my advice: Never be afraid to ask questions. There is always going to be something you don’t know or are curious about, so just ask. You don’t want to risk not completing a project the correct way and having to do it again because you failed to ask a question. 

I'll give you some more advice as you continue to follow Little Pink Secrets xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment